Change of Address

This blog has gotten a slight makeover (slight like a trim, not Botox), and taken up a new residence. Come on over!

10.29.2012

Hiatus

HIATUS: a break or interruption in the continuity of a work

I'm going on a hiatus from blogging. "Hiatus" sounds exciting, like some sort of party involving Pop Rocks and a DJ and those little New Year's Eve poppers; a party that is taking place in Africa (perhaps because the word is similar to "hyena"?) But my hiatus is nowhere near that exciting. Just a break from my cyber life because my flesh and bones life seems to have kicked it up a notch. 

I go through cycles of spending my free time writing, then reading, then writing. I'm in a reading phase right now. A gathering phase. I hope this is a temporary break. I think it is. Exceptional Simplicities has been a delightful therapeutic outlet. But this quote comes to mind:
"Our lives need regular pruning, so we can accomplish our life's real purpose." 
-Dieter F. Uchtdorf

It's hard to give yourself permission to prune your life. To remember that "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo Da Vinci) To recognize when it's time to shift your focus, and move some things to the back burner. I hope to graft blogging back into my life at some time, but for now, I'm shifting my attention to some other branches :) 

I'll leave you with a (lengthy) quote, and a big GRACIAS for sharing some of your time with me, reading this blog.

"Live! Take risks! That is really what life is about. We must pursue our own happiness. Nobody has ever lived our lives; there are no guidelines. Trust your instincts. Accept nothing but the best. But then also look for it carefully. Don't allow it to slip between your fingers. Sometimes, good things come to us in such a quiet fashion. And nothing comes complete. It is what we make of whatever we encounter that determines the outcome. What we choose to see, what we choose to save. And what we choose to remember. Never forget that all the love in your life is there, inside you, always. It can never be taken from you."
Linda Olsson, Astrid and Veronika 
 

3 comments:

bladenfamily said...

I'll miss you. AT least let me know what you're reading. HOpe to see you soon!

Laura said...

Too bad. I always look forward to your posts, but I applaud you for knowing what is best for you and doing it. I just read a great talk by Elder Perry from the October 1999 conference on this very subject and am trying to decide what needs pruning in my life too.
Anyway, I hope to see the flesh-and-bones you again this Summer at least. Take care!

Anonymous said...

I can not thank you adequately for the posts on your web site. I know you'd put a lot of time and effort into them and hope you know how much I appreciate it. I hope I'll do exactly the same for someone else at some point.