Change of Address

This blog has gotten a slight makeover (slight like a trim, not Botox), and taken up a new residence. Come on over!

9.22.2012

5 Recipes I Wonder How I Lived Without

If there's one thing life as a parent never lacks, it's the opportunity to be a hypocrite. Last night I was complaining to my husband that Em wants to eat ALL DAY LONG, while shoving food into my mouth. Hmmm. 

Yes, food and I get along. I don't profess to be an expert culinarian. The only way I will end up on the Food Network is as a taste tester. But occasionally I come across recipes that fool people into thinking I'm a good cook. And because deceit is oh so fun, I wanted to share them with you.


A friend made this for me, and I knew after one bite that I would go to any length to get the recipe. Luckily she handed it over willingly, and nobody got hurt. In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit it took me about a year to get up the courage to make it. Not that it's terribly difficult--I was just a woefully inexperienced cook at the time (my husband and I were surviving on Pasta Roni and Taco Salad), and had never purchased things like olive oil or kosher salt. This recipe makes enough for about eight people, but I never half it, because it tastes great leftover, too. (Warning: do not forgo the feta cheese. It makes this recipe!)

Confession: sometimes when I drop off our recycling, I go through the magazine recycling bin (if it's stacked high enough that I don't have to jump in :). And one time I scored an outdated issue of Health magazine, in which I found this smoothie recipe. I believe fate brought us together. I make it about every week (sometimes more) and have not yet tired of it.

There's not much of a story here. Girl meets sandwich. Girl falls in love with sandwich. Girl and sandwich live happily ever after.

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law, who made it to lure information out of me (not really, but I would've told her anything she wanted to know). This syrup is a sneaky way to have dessert for dinner. I would honestly take a bath in it.

My grandma gave this recipe to me at my recipe-themed wedding shower. I don't think I attempted it until after she passed away. Now it is a sentimental and delicious dish, that will heat you up from the inside out on a cold day (though I've been known to make it in the summer). 

(Print all 5 recipes)

I hope you enjoy this random collection of yum! Sorry there aren't any pictures. Food doesn't seem to hang around our house long enough to be photographed. What are the recipes you can't live without?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your recipes. They look so yummy! Some of my favorites are: homemade chicken noodle soup, homemade bread, glazed rolls, peach cobbler, Hawaiian Haystacks, cream of broccoli soup,and soup bar. Sorry for the extensive list! :)

Laura said...

Hmmm, a buttermilk syrup bath? Sounds sticky. :)
I am super excited to try your recipes. I love food, and I trust your judgement since what you fed us for dinner was super yummy.
Thanks for sharing!

I wrote a whole post about my obsession with food. You can see it at http://whatdowormssmelllike.blogspot.com/2011/11/food-my-drug-of-choice.html

Anonymous said...

I greatly appreciate all the info I've read here. I will spread the word about your blog to other people. Cheers.